Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Words I hate people using in personal statements
Having reviewed quite a few statements, and just looked at loads more, some words are really beginning to get on my nerves. These are just a few of the most annoying.

Passion – Yeah of course you’re supposed to be passionate about your personal statement but surely people can find another way of getting their enthusiasm for the subject along in a way that doesn’t sound so phoney. While just saying you’re interested in your subject maybe doesn’t really get across your dedication. Passion is up there with words like obsession and infatuation - it’s a bit over the top.

Avid – It seems everyone is an avid something these days. Usually it’s an avid reader of some publication related to the subject they’re applying for, though I’ve seen it used for other things – particularly extra-curricular activities. Do you really need to be an avid reader/tennis player/stamp collector or will words like keen and eager just not do?

Socializing – This is a word I’ve seen used to extremes. Either used by those who’s only extra curricular activities are hanging around in gangs pushing children off the swings in parks, or those who spend so much time on theirs, that it’s the only way they show they have some contact with the outside world. No one really seems to know the benefits of putting socializing on a personal statement, it’s just there to try and make people appear more well rounded (whatever that means) than they are.

Anyway, those are my personal favourites, feel free to add your own and make those applicants reach for their thesauruses Smile

Messages In This Thread
Words I hate people using in personal statements - by loftx - 27/09/2004, 09:04 AM
RE: Words I hate people using in personal statements - by Acaila - 28/10/2004, 07:05 PM
RE: Words I hate people using in personal statements - by Rammez - 11/11/2004, 10:05 AM